Arnica montana…..The Mountain Daisy is a perennial plant also known as leopard's bane, wolf's bane, mountain tobacco and mountain arnica. Arnica products have become very popular these days as a natural alternative when managing extreme sports related injuries to the everyday simple lumps and bumps encountered by both equine and human.
Witch Hazel base is the best medium to extract the benefits contained within each of the components making up the arnica plant as evidenced by Equilite’s world famous Sore No More® line of herbal cooling liniments. Common uses include application for leg, muscle, hoof, bath, edema, and the overall feel good effect we expect in order to counter the effects of sprains, strains, spasms, arthritis, bruises and many more afflictions.
The active components derived from arnica include;
• Arnicin (a yellow crystalline bitter resin)
• Sesquiterpene lactones (known to reduce inflammation and decrease pain)
• Thymol (an antiseptic, disinfectant, fungicide and antiseptic essential oil also found in the plant Thyme)
• Flavonoids (produce yellow or red/blue pigmentation flowers and protect them from attack by microbes and insects)
• Inulin (are a group of naturally occurring oligasaccharides which are several simple sugars linked together belonging to a class of carbohydrates known as fructans)
• Carotenoids (naturally occurring organic pigments associated with an orange to yellowish color)
• Tannins (are astringent bitter-tasting plant polyphenols—plant substances that have antioxidant properties with potential health benefits)
Common external uses for ARNICA;
• arthritis and rheumatism
• muscle spasms or aches
• sore or painful joints
• sprained or pulled muscles
• tendon strain
• swelling due to fractures
• wound healing
• helps disperse trapped fluids from traumatized tissue, joints, muscles
• stimulates white blood cell activity to relieve congested blood cells
• helps reduce bleeding from trauma to an area
• pre or post surgery to reduce bleeding and inflammation from the process
HOW IT WORKS
Arnica works by stimulating the activity of white blood cells that perform much of the digestion of congested blood, and by dispersing trapped, disorganized fluids from bumped and bruised tissue, joints and muscles. Arnica is known to stimulate blood circulation which flushes out inflammation and speeds healing to an area. It has anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory qualities that can reduce pain, swelling, and improve the potential for quicker wound healing.
Arnica in the raw plant state is considered to be toxic and can possibly induce vomiting, weakness, increased heart rate and nervous disturbances. If ingested, it should always be ingested in a homeopathic preparation form only, where none of the original substance is present to be absorbed. Topically it is safe to use, however, we should caution that although rare, some animals may have an allergic reaction to the plant.